Sunday, June 26, 2011

Update 6/26 - Border questions

In my previous post I said that we would limit this first version to the Kumasi area. Problem is that I can't find any definite borders anywhere (some sites are giving me inconsistent gps measurements for where its exact borders are) and there seems to be a recent (within the last few months) movement to slightly expand Kumasi to create a "Greater Kumasi" Metropolitan area (1) (2).

Because of this I've decided to limit our search area to the borders:
latitude = 6.583333  - 6.766667 (degrees N)
longitude = 1.516667 - 1.7 (degrees W)

Using data from google earth, I've gathered the data for and manually entered 137 schools, colleges, universities, churches, hotels, lodges, and major locations like the airport and primary post office. The database's structure allows for multiple names to refer to the same location, so for example "X Primary School" may be referred to as "X School", "X Primary", and whatever other unambiguous pseudonyms that I could think of.

Of course, we end up with the problem that some locations may have names I don't know about, or spellings or whatever. Initially I'm expecting a lot of recognition failures, and the plan is to use these to learn over time. The data we collect in this regard will be quite valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment